Thursday, March 5, 2015

Slow But Sure!

But know that the LORD has set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. (Ps. 4:3) 

Where are you today on your own journey? Are you discounting the significance of your days? Are you sighing rather than singing? Are you wondering what good can come from all that you have to live with? 

We tend to think that if God is really engaged, He will change things within the next hour or so. Certainly by sundown. Absolutely by the end of the week. But God is not a slave to the human clock. Compared to the works of mankind, He is extremely deliberate and painfully slow. As religious poet George Herbert wisely penned, "God's mill grinds slow, but sure." . . . 

God's hand is not so short that it cannot save, nor is His ear so heavy that He cannot hear. Whether you see Him or not, He is at work in your life this very moment. God specializes in turning the mundane into the meaningful. . . . One of my longtime friends, Howie Stevenson, often says with a smile, "God moves among the casseroles." 

Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity 

I must admit, slow is almost a foreign concept to me. I have gotten so used to doing things fast, it has almost become my second nature. Yes, I blame all of this on technology that always moves at breakneck speeds. I can get more things done by simply speaking to my computer by using a special voice-recognition program I have. What used to take me one hour to do, now takes maybe 10 minutes. 

My dear friends, welcome to the microwave society. I happen to be a part of a society that has taken fast to a whole new level. No, it's not exactly a good thing. I really miss the days when I can take things nice and slow, be deliberate, slow, but sure in my delivery. Depending on the project that I'm working on, I would adjust from using the voice-recognition program to doing the project the slow but sure way by simply typing out the words and editing as necessary. 

My dear friends, how do you approach life? Do you approach life at breakneck speed? Or do you approach it slowly but surely? Are you a rabbit or the turtle? To be honest, I happen to be 41 years old as I write this post. I'm starting to develop a greater understanding and value for the more methodical, slower pace of life and doing things. Don't get me wrong, I love my voice-recognition program as it makes life dramatically easier in some instances, especially in those instances where I can make the most of my project in a very short period of time. Like the kind of technology we use, life is what we choose to make of it. Would you rather go the fast and unpredictable route? Or would you rather take the slow but sure route? The outcome of your project (and life) will largely be dictated by the approach you bring. Ask God for the wisdom to know the difference. He will never steer you the wrong way. 

Thank you so much for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in all that you choose to do! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).