Saturday, February 7, 2015

Knowing Your Child!

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Prov. 22:6) 

When it comes to rearing children, developing a strong home where happiness and harmony can flourish, there is a primary starting point: knowing your child. This is the most profound insight, the single most helpful secret I can pass on to you on the subject of child-rearing. 

Do not think that just because you have conceived, carried, and finally given birth to your little one, you automatically know your child. Nor can you say you know him or her just because you live in the same house. I must say, categorically, you do not. Knowing your child takes time, careful observation, diligent study, prayer, concentration, help from above, and, yes, wisdom. Notice I did not include in that list a high IQ or some course in school. The essential ingredients  are desire and time.  If you really want to know, and if you're willing to invest the time, God will honor your efforts. He will enable you to know your child. 

Growing Wise in Family Life 

I have written a number of different posts of family matters. In my honest opinion, I believe that this particular post will be among the most important posts you will ever read. 

I was born into and grew up in a home in which I didn't have a father present. When I look back at my past childhood, it was only my mom that really took the time to really get to know me. As difficult as it has been for my mom in raising 4 children alone (with me being the youngest), God's grace became very evident in my mom's life because she was steadfast taking the time to get to know all of her kids and seeing them grow into productive men and women. 

Am I implying that everything was perfect? Not at all. Understandably so, parenting in general has its challenges. My mom, being a single parent with four kids and one of them (the third child) being handicapped and originally given only 6 months at the onset of his birth, must have been extremely difficult. To further complicate matters, I was born into a time when Roe v. Wade (the abortion case) legalized abortion. 

With that said, I cannot and will not ever take for granted the immense effort that my mom has made in the lives of her children. She literally took the time to get to know us. As an aspiring parent, my mom has planted the seed of godly parenthood. I look forward to the day in which I will have the opportunity plant those same exact seeds in my children and really dedicate a great deal of time to really get to know them. Be encouraged parents (current and aspiring) and make the time to really get to know your kids and watch them blossom right before your eyes as productive men and women of God. Amen. 

Thank you so much for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).