Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Leisure Is Free!

Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep. (Prov. 24:33) 

Please understand that leisure is more than idle free time not devoted to paid occupations. Some of the most valuable work done in the world has been done at leisure . . . and never paid for in cash. Leisure is free activity. Labor is compulsory activity. In leisure, we do what we like, but in labor we do what we must. In our labor we meet the objective needs and demands of others---our employer, the public, people who are impacted by and through our work. But in leisure we scratch the subjective inches within ourselves. In leisure our minds are liberated from the immediate, the necessary. As we incorporate leisure into the mainstream of our world, we gain perspective. We lift ourselves above the grit and grind of mere existence. 

Interestingly, leisure comes from the Latin word licere, which means "to be permitted." If we are ever going to inculcate leisure into our otherwise utilitarian routine, we must give ourselves permission to do so. 

Strengthening Your Grip 

I love free leisure! The actual definition of leisure will be different from one person to the next. In my personal experience, most people often confuse my work from home with leisure. To a certain degree, it is true because my line of work allows me to be a free-thinker instead of being subjected to the whims of an employer. 

In my leisurely "work", there are periods of great demand on my time, but allows me to stop and take as much time as I need to think through on what I want to say and/or write. With that said, leisure does indeed play a very important in our lives. With lots of people out there that are goal-driven and ambitious to the point of obsession, it is no wonder that so many workers are burnt out. 

Without leisure time, it's very difficult to be able to maintain the passion we have in our pursuit of achieving success in any area of our lives. My dear friends, YOU are permitted to have as much leisure time as you know you can afford to have without unhealthy compromises that can result in a stagnant life. 

Thank you so much for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).