Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Cavalier Culture!


There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. (Prov. 18:24) 

A hurry-up lifestyle results in a throwaway culture. Things that should be lasting and meaningful are sacrificed on the altar of the temporary and superficial.

The major fallout in such a setting is the habit of viewing relationships casually. This cavalier attitude cripples society in various ways: 

- Friends walk away instead of work through.
- Partnerships dissolve rather than solve. 
- Neighbors no longer visit and relax together. 
- The aged are resented, not honored. 
- Husband and wives divorce rather than persevere. 
- Children are brushed aside rather than nourished. 

Relationships! Never sell them short. If we'll slow down the hurry-up lifestyle for a moment and pause to catch our breath, we'll realize the need to call a halt to our throwaway culture. 

Growing Wise in Family Life 

Let's be honest. Faithful friends, especially in social media is extremely hard to come by. We definitely live in a cavalier culture in which things have a way of dismantling even quicker in relationships than what has been built. 

I will be the first to admit that I place more stock in quality relationships than in the number of friendships I have for the sake of being popular. I have hundreds of Facebook "friends". Of the hundreds of "friends" I have, I can probably guarantee that not even one hundred of them can actually be considered friends. 

In Twitter, I have been connected to scores of people, but very few have actually gone out of their way to actually "connect" with me. Is it amazing how that plays out in our lives away from the computer screen? As a minister, I have had the immense honor and privilege of meeting numerous people only to come back home to the small number of people that have remained consistently faithful in my life. 

My dear friends, the point that I am attempting to make here is to never take the friendships God places in your life for granted. Look at the people God has placed directly around you, online or offline, and express your gratitude for their faithfulness. Those same exact people will never look at you the same. Those same exact people will understand the loving nature of Jesus Christ permeating through the way you live your life in a manner that is pleasing God and bring glory to His name. 

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).