Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Priorities For Parents!

My son, if your heart is wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.  (Prov. 23:15) 

Let me make three practical suggestions to you who are parents.

First, determine your priorities. Ask yourself how high the family rates on your list of involvement. How are your children in particular---just how serious are you regarding time with each? Have you told them or your mate? . . . 

Second, record your observations. If a child reveals his or her bents in everyday life, those things are worth writing down. Keep a journal on each child. . . . As you write, pray for wisdom. Ask God to guide your thoughts. Please remember, each child is unique. No comparisons! . . . 

Third, share your findings. Children long to know themselves better. They respect your counsel, and will long remember your remarks. Be candid and honest as you help them "see" who they really are. 

Growing Wise in Family Life 

For starters, I'm not a parent. As a result, I'm not as qualified to provide parental counsel as Bro. Swindoll is. As of the writing of this post, I have never had the need to take parental counseling classes. In spite of it all, that in no way, shape, or form will stop me from learning everything that needs to be learned about parenting before it happens. In my honest opinion, it is always better to learn something before it happens than to wait for that "something" to happen and regret not knowing about it later. 

In my mind, parenting is a very serious subject that should never be taken lightly. Granted, reading books or listening to lectures will never replace the actual hands-on experience of being an actual parent. Many times in my short lifetime, I have seen Christian parents present their children to the Lord and that is indeed a sight to behold. I have seen the little children react in a number of different ways ranging from crying to laughter to outright scream in terror being in the hands of someone they don't know. My mom told me that I attempted to poke my pastor's eye out when he held me in his arm. My mom was laughing hysterically she tells me. 

In a nutshell, I guess what I'm trying to tell all the wonderful parents is to give God first priority in the lives of your child(ren). Godly parents will understand the concept of raising your child in the fear of the Lord so that when they get older they won't depart from Him. This doesn't just apply to married parents, this also applies to single parents as well. Is parenting at any level easy? Absolutely not! Is parenting at any level capable of being an outrageous joy? Oh yes! I want to congratulate all my readers who happen to be wonderful parents at the present moment and all the wonderful parents who are empty-nesters and have done the amazing job of being great parents to their children. We are all proud of you and God is very pleased with you! 

Thank you so much for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).