Sunday, June 8, 2014

Meaningful Memorials!

And that these days should be remembered and kept throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city. (Esther 9:28) 

The Lincoln Memorial, The Vietnam Memorial. . . . Memorials are places provided for us to stand and be quiet, to reflect, and to pass on to the next generation the roots of a nation's heritage. They give the present significance because they give the past perspective. 

My fear for our rapid-paced lifestyle is that we have so few memorials, so few monuments, even mental monuments. Life is lived in the fast lane. Superficial decisions. Hurry-up childhoods. . . . So little time spent stopping and recording segments of our lives in a journal. So little emphasis on listening and learning and honoring. . . . 

In order to have perspective, we must have monuments and memorials, places to return to and learn from and talk about and pass on. If we don't, we are destined to live rootless, fast-lane lives without much significance. 

Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity 

The moment I began writing the devotional, I couldn't help but ask myself the following question:

When (and if) I were to ever die, what kind of memorial or monument would I want to be of me to be remembered? 

That's a very sobering question to ask oneself. There's no doubt that this is the type of question that is very rarely thought of. It's the type of question that forces you to be keenly aware of what type of legacy you want to leave behind. My dear friends, how do you want to be remembered? What kind of memorial or monument would you want made in honor of you? Before answering these questions, you must think long and hard how you want to be remembered. 

There is no doubt whatsoever that God has graced me with leaving "living monuments/memorials" in the lives of those that I have had the honor of ministering, online or offline. An excellent example is what I do here at Christian Living. There is no doubt that numerous people have been blessed in some way, shape, or form through the various posts made on this site. A "living legacy" has been left behind in the lives of everyone who read the posts of this site. Is the purpose of this site for me to be popular with everyone? No. Is the purpose of this site to lift up the name of Jesus Christ? Yes. With that said, my hope and prayer is that a godly memorial/monument will be established in the hearts, minds, and souls of my readers and people I minister to. Not because of anything that Micky has done. No. But because of what Jesus has done for you and me and will continue to do through people like you and me. Any memorials we lay will only be meaningful when Jesus is the Architect (and the Cornerstone) of that memorial. Amen? Amen!...:-). 

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).