Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Giant Step Toward Maturity!

My flesh and my heart fails: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26) 

One of the hardest things for you and me to do is own up to our own failures. Whether we're talking to our spouses, our kids, our employers, or with our Lord Himself, it goes against the grain to come clean and admit our offenses. The knee-jerk response every time is to employ defense mechanisms: to deny, to excuse, to rationalize, to reinterpret out shortfalls. 

The best and healthiest course is to 'fess up. To call failure, "failure." To name sin for what it is. To admit we were wrong, and having declared it, to learn what God may have to teach us from the experience. 

Sir Winston Churchill . . . offered the best definition of success I've ever read: "Success is moving from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." . . . As you begin to interpret failure correctly, you will take your first giant step toward maturity. 

Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication 

Achieving maturity (in the positive sense) more often than not will be mostly achieved through failure. Yes friends, you read that correctly. Maturity is measured by how you respond to the various trials and adversities in our lives. Maturity encapsulates everything that embodies our character. The fruit of our maturity will be seen in "our" wisdom, which in reality is God's wisdom. 

From the fountain of wisdom, our viewpoint in life will be radically changed. Our viewpoint will no longer be ours per se. It will be God's viewpoint, in light of His Word. One thing I have learned over so many years is that my maturity is largely dependent on who I am in Christ. Being that my identity is in Christ, my outlook on life will usually go against the grain of our culture of today. 

My dear friends, Christ-like maturity is the only (and true) way to go. Am I implying that it will be easy? No, it will be anything, but easy. Quite frankly, it will be downright hard sometimes. In the same way Jesus encountered opposition from the religious (and non-religious) community of His time, we will also experience the same opposition during the days we live in today. Moses told Joshua to "be strong and of good courage". I will also tell all of my readers the same thing. Amen?

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!!. . . . :-).