Saturday, March 22, 2014

If Only. . . .!

All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart has a continual feast. (Prov. 15:15)  

Many folks eat their hearts out, suffering from the contagious "If Only" disease. Its germs infect every slice of life. 

If only I had more money.
If only we owned a nicer home. 
If only we could have children.
If only he would ask me out. 
If only I had more friends.

The list is endless. Woven through the fabric of all those words is a sigh that comes from the daily grind of discontentment. Taken far enough, it leads to the dead-end street of self-pity---one of the most distasteful and inexcusable of all attitudes. Discontentment is one of those daily grinds that forces others to listen to our list of woes. But they don't for long! Discontented souls soon become lonely souls. 

Living Beyond the Daily Grind 

If only. . . . 

Those are the words I have often heard myself say numerous times throughout my teenage-young adult-latter adult years and still do to this day. With so many thoughts that run through our heads on a daily basis, it's only natural that the words "If Only" come racing through our thoughts. I, for one, love to travel and have had (and still do) when I have the opportunity to do so. With that said, you would most likely hear out of my mouth the following: "If only I had the time to travel." Right?

My only issue with those words "If Only" is that they can often drive me crazy. Yes, you heard that right. They will drive me crazy! That is when I have learned how to develop a sense of humor around those exact words without really beating up on my self esteem. A good example of this would be if I happen to see a very beautiful woman and as a result of seeing that very beautiful woman, I develop a so-called "inferiority complex" because I may feel that I don't quite measure up to that beautiful woman. Before I know it, I would end up thinking the following: "If only I was more handsome." At that particular point, I could do one of two things: I would either 1) Fall into a pit of self pity or 2) Enjoy the moment of having been blessed to see the beautiful woman and do something to improve myself in every single area of my life. 

It's possible that many of my readers can relate to what has been written here and quite frankly I find a great deal of comfort in being able to be as transparent about an "issues" we are confronted. I'm very sure that there are millions of other "issues" that we can elaborate on with the words "If Only".  My dear friends, we have heard numerous times in our walk with God that we have to give ALL our cares to the Lord. Whenever the words "If Only" creep into your mind, prevent it from getting to your heart by handing over that thought over to God and pray about whatever it is that concerns you. 

Thank you so much for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-)