Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Secret Is Acceptance!


And again, I will put my trust in him. (Heb. 2:13) 

Helen Roseveare was a British medical missionary in the Congo years ago during an uprising. Her faith was strong and her trust was confident, yet she was raped and assaulted and treated brutally. Commenting later, she said, "I must ask myself a question as if it came directly from the Lord. " Can you thank Me for trusting you with this experience even if I never tell you why?"

What a profound thought. God has trusted each of us with our own set of unfair circumstances and unexplained experiences to deal with. Can we still trust in Him even if He never tells us why?

The secret to responsible trust is acceptance. Acceptance is taking from God's hand absolutely anything He gives, looking into His face in trust and thanksgiving, knowing that the confinement of the hedge we're in is good and for His glory.

Perfect Trust 

To be honest, life can oftentimes be more difficult to figure out than usual. I have often been asked why "good" people suffer. To be honest again, that is a very fair question and a question that is more difficult to answer than one might think. In my personal experience, I have developed the belief that God allows people to suffer (including His children) to gauge the character of that individual and how that person will not only respond to the suffering, but how they develop from a spiritual and personal standpoint. 

In the example of Helen Roseveare, it's astonishing how God allows bad things to happen to His children. I absolutely don't imagine that God takes any pleasure whatsoever in the suffering of His children. Quite the opposite. There is no doubt that He is saddened when His children suffer inhumane acts. The most encouraging part is Helen's maturity and confidence that she was able to maintain in her relationship with God in spite of what happened to her. 

My dear friends, there is so much we can learn from Helen's response to the adversity she confronted. She accepted her situation with a great deal of humility, courage, and strength. Her confidence in the Lord was unwavering as it revealed to me how incredibly intimate her relationship with God was in the face of adversity. It's one thing to sing songs of praise and be thankful to God when things are going well. It's another thing altogether to be able to do the same things to God when our world is turned upside down or inside out. I encourage every single one of us (including myself) to follow the example that Helen showed us in how to respond to suffering and adversity. 

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-).