Friday, January 31, 2014

No Island Of Second Chance!

Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children is their fathers. (Prov. 17:6) 

We cannot change the past. . . and that includes the way we reared our children. All of us---yes, every parent I have ever met---would love to step into the time tunnel and return to the Island of Second Chance. We would give anything to relive those years and correct the failures and mistakes we committed the first time around. All such fantasy wishes need to be erased. They can never be fulfilled! The parenting process offers only one try per child, one day at a time, never again to be repeated. 

Someone once said, "Life is like a coin; you can spend it any way you wish, but you spend it only once." That is never more true than with rearing children. About the time we get fairly good at it, our kids are all young adults and gone. Having come closer than ever to perfecting the process, we suddenly realize nobody is listening! Which means we're qualified for one major role: grandparenting (when it becomes our right to break all the rules and spoil those darlings!). It's a funny world. 

Growing Wise in Family Life 

I will openly admit that I am neither a parent nor grandparent, but over the course of my short lifetime I have come to know a very wonderful parent and a couple of truly amazing grandparents. My mom and grandparents have played a critical role in both my personal development and spiritual development. To be honest, it has not always been easy since I have had moments where I would display a rebellious streak. 

Nevertheless, the seeds that have been planted into me by my mom and grandparents have grown in such a manner that leaves no doubt that God has had a plan for me even during those moments when I would be defiant and outright rude and ignorant. Over the course of all those years and to this day, God has essentially taken me as His own. God has become the Father that has never left me nor forsaken me. 

My dear friends, I would never be the man that I am today without the involvement of God Himself, my mom, and my grandparents. My hope and prayer is that I will one day get married and become the biological father that I never had (presently without me). I never want to look back with regret and try to find that "Island of Second Chance" when it comes to rearing a child or children. A specific verse comes to mind as I write this: 

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Prov. 22:6) 

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! My hope and prayer is that this devotional and short thought will encourage you and inspire you to be the godly parent (or aspiring godly parent) to that child or children. May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-)