Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Celebrate Life!

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. (Psalms 90:12) 

The Hebrew texts suggests that we correctly "account" for our days. I find it interesting that we are to view life by the days, not the years. We are to live those days in such a way that when they draw to a close, we have gained "a heart of wisdom." With the Lord God occupying first place in our lives we accept and live each day enthusiastically for Him. The result will be that "heart of wisdom" the psalmist mentions. . . . 

Because we cannot alter the inevitable, we adjust to it. And we do that not a year at a time, but a day at a time. Instead of eating our heart out because of a few more aches and pains have attached themselves to our bodies, we determine to celebrate life rather than endure it. Aging isn't a choice. But our response to it is. In so many ways we ourselves determine how we shall grow old. 

Strengthening Your Grip 

I just turned 40 years old December of last year. The BIG 4-O! Isn't it funny how as we get older we have the tendency to look at life through an entirely different lens. Our minds have the tendency to think in not-so-rosey ways. Gray hair begins to slowly creep into our lives as we stare ourselves in the mirror and try to come up with ways to do away with it. Obviously, the gray hair is just one example of numerous other one that we may deal with as we age. I will openly admit, I used to be one of those people that had a pretty bad outlook on aging. Then. . . . 

That all changed when God decided to surround me with godly men that God has chosen to be my mentors to this day. The youngest of my mentors is in his late 40's. The oldest is in his late 70's. The most amazing part is that the mentor that is in his late 70's just so happens to live in Japan. Anyone that has a basic understanding of Japanese culture will know that Japan holds the record for the highest number of people that have been able to reach 100 years or older. Of all the mentors that I have been blessed to connect with and get to know, my Japanese mentor qualifies as one to share with me how to approach the aging process. He has given me tons of advice about almost everything that can be spoken about under the sun. The one piece of advice that he gave me that will stay with me forever is that God has waited "many years" to use some of the Bible's "most popular" characters. Everyone ranging from Abraham to the last person that was able to live well beyond 100 years were in some way, shape, or form able to experience God in their lives well into 100's. There's no doubt in my mind that they were able to celebrate their lives while aging and continuing to obtain and cherish godly wisdom.

My dear friends, don't make the same mistake I made about the aging process. As we age while at the same time maintaining our intimacy with God Himself, we will not only be able to enjoy life, we'll be able to celebrate and embrace the life God has given to us. 

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!....:-).