Friday, December 6, 2013

Power To Overcome!

Apply your heart unto instruction, and your ears to the words of knowledge. (Prov. 23:12) 

Can't and won't. Christians need to be very careful which one they choose. It seems that we prefer to use "can't." 


"I just can't get along with my wife."
"My husband and I can't communicate."
"I just can't discipline the kids as I should."
"I just can't give up the affair I'm having."
"I can't stop overeating."
"I can't find time to pray." 

Any Christian who takes the Bible seriously will have to agree the word here really should be "won't." Why? Because we have been given the power, the ability to overcome....

We're really saying "I won't," because we don't choose to say "With the help of God, I will!"

                                                        Day by Day with Charles Swindoll 

I have often heard the following song sang so many times in our churches today: This Is How We Overcome. This song just so happens to be one of my personal favorites. In my personal experience, this song is symbolic of the victory we can and will one day achieve in our Christian life experiences. 

As spiritual and emotional fulfilling this song is to us, there are still those of us that experience no more that just an emotional experience from it. As a result, we have a whole bunch of people that walk out of our church services the same or even worse than they came in because only intellectual assent was given to the word "overcome." The harsh reality of not overcoming the various trials we experience will result in being overwhelmed by the adversity of those trials.

What it boils down to is perspective. Can we find upside in adversity? Sure we can! That all depends on the vantage point we find ourselves in. In all honesty, the only way that we will ever get to find any kind of upside in adversity is by lifting our eyes to the One who has the best vantage point of all, God. If we fail to keep our eyes on God, the adversarial circumstances of our lives will no doubt overwhelm us because we would be too caught up in the current of adversity. Before we ever realize it, the adversity that surrounds us will appear to become bigger than God Himself when in all reality it's God Who is and always will be bigger than anything will will face.

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you as He enables you to overcome anything that you are currently facing right now. JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-).