Sunday, December 22, 2013

Don't Get Burned!

Be not deceived: evil companions corrupt good morals. (1 Cor. 15:33)
Compromise never works. We always get burned. Even though we rationalize around our weak decisions and tell ourselves that wicked associations really won't harm us ("they'll get better, our good will rub off their bad!"), we get soiled in the process.
If you put on a pair of clean white gloves on a rainy day and then go out into the backyard to the flowerbed and pick up a glob of mud, trust me, the mud will never get "glovey." The gloves will definitely get muddy. Every time. In all my sixty-plus years on earth, I have never seen glovey mud. Not once. In simple terms, that's what 1 Corinthians 15:33 is saying: "Do not be deceived :" Bad company corrupts good morals."
Dropping Your Guard
 I will openly admit it right here friends!

I know what it's like to get burned. I also know what it does to people who get burned in relationships of all kinds ranging from the most intimate to the plutonic friendships that we have in our offline and online relationships. In this day and age of social media, it's very simple to either burn and/or get burned. All it takes is for us to simply ignore those that may have been deemed unessential to our lives.

As hard as it may be to swallow this reality, it is exactly that, a reality. So many of us attribute the relationships we have to godly wisdom, when more often than not, it is really human wisdom that is being applied. When involved in any kind of relationship, as Christians, we have to have the discernment to exercise godly wisdom. If we don't, WE WILL GET BURNED! Got that? The whole idea of being unequally yoked with unbelievers doesn't just pertain to those we plan on marrying. It also pertains to relationships of every kind ranging from the kind of friends we keep to the kind of people we decide to do business with.

There is absolutely nothing pleasant about getting burned. When it used to be me doing the burning, in my ignorance, there was the so-called justification of why I choose to burn that person. More often than not, we usually reap what we sow. In my personal experience, as a result of all those years that I have burned the people that have placed their trust in me, I end up being the one on the receiving end of getting burned. Without a shadow of a doubt, it's humbling. I have since learned to never take the godly relationships I have for granted.

Just recently, God has given me one more year of life at the age of 40 years old. Little did I know that I have received over 90 birthday wishes. I took it upon myself to respond to every single one of the birthday wishes by embracing the friendships I have with them and expressing the gratitude I have in my heart for them and their families. My aim and goal as a Christian is to live out the rest of my life in such a manner that it will be pleasing to the Lord and to embrace everyone that I know and don't know. Will my life be perfect? Far from it! But one thing I know for sure. God will be pleased and the wonderful relationships that I do keep will be immensely blessed as I am able to contribute godly worth into each and every one of their lives.

Thank you so much for reading this far friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you all in Jesus' mighty name! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-).