Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Running!

Know you not that they who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? So run, that you may obtain. (1 Corinthians 9:24) 

Back when I was high school, I did ALOT of running. No, I haven't been running from the police...;-). Quite the contrary I know plenty of family members and friends in the police. The kind of running that I'm referring to is of the eternal variety. 

Running for God is not a sprint. It's a cross-country run. Now, the only time I will suggest that you sprint is when faced with temptation. Temptations will come and go in our lives. Temptations will take on many forms as well. How we respond (or not respond) to the temptation will determine in whether we will achieve victory or not.

From personal experience, throughout my entire teenage/adult life I struggled with various temptations. In spite of all those temptations, God has had His hand upon me and delivered me from those temptations. In those moments when faced with the temptation, God was always faithful in providing an exit plan to "run" from the precarious situation.

One of my mentors once told me "that I may not be able to prevent the bird from flying over my head, but I can prevent the bird from making a nest on my head". As you can already tell, this is one quote that has resonated with me and has stuck with me ever since. In my mind, the above quote is the very essence of the way temptation works. Can we prevent temptation from "flying" into our lives? No. Can we prevent temptation from making its nest in our hearts? YES!

In order for us to become "eternal-class" (not world-class) runners, it is extremely essential that we have the proper training so that we can effectively run from not only temptation, but harm in general. The most beautiful part about all this is we are only responsible for the training and actual "run". God will take care of everything else ranging from the exit plan to your place of safety. Notice that I didn't say comfort. I deliberately left out the comfort part because the temptation of complacency will eventually settle in. 

Keep "running" this race my friends! God has wonderful prize waiting for you at the very end and it's called eternity in Heaven. That is the one prize that will never rust no matter how long it takes for you to receive it.

Thanks for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you as you continue to "run" this race with passion and enthusiasm in Jesus' name. Here's the lyrics to Running by Hillsong Live. Enjoy in Jesus' mighty name friends! JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!...:-) 

RUNNING BY HILLSONG LIVE 


Ready at the line looking out
Looking out to all that's ahead
When every heart confesses Your name
We're pressing on towards that day
We're never gonna stop
We're never gonna stop

Letting go of every mistake
Throwing off the chains of restraint
And all that will remain
A passion for Your name
Burning as we run this race
We're never gonna stop
We're never gonna stop
We're never gonna stop
We're never gonna stop

We are running
Chasing after all that You are
We are running
'Cause all that You are
Is all that we want now

Every stride is taken in faith
Every step compelled by Your grace
We're taking up our cross
No matter what the cost
We give it all to go Your way
We're never gonna stop
We're never gonna stop

We are running
Chasing after all that You are
We are running
'Cause all that You are
Is all that we want now
[x2]

Onwards we draw towards Your light
Desperate we seek
To know You more and more
Further we look beyond ourselves
To Your love
To Your love
[x2]

'Cause we are running
We're chasing after all that You are
We are running
'Cause all that You are
Is all that we want now

We're running
Chasing after all that You are
We are running
'Cause all that You are
Is all that we want now