Friday, March 1, 2013

Servant Leadership...Conceptualization!

For a dream comes through much business; and a fool's voice is known by a multitude of words.                                            (Ecclesiastes 5:3) 

Conceptualization. This has to be the longest word of the 10 Principles of Servant Leadership. Let us get started on what conceptualization actually means and then I will follow up with the summary of conceptualization.

The definition of conceptualization is as follows: 1) the act of formulating or making a concept of something.
                                                                        2) an elaborated concept.

Now for the summary of conceptualization:

Conceptualization - Servant-leaders seek to nurture their abilities to "dream great dreams." The ability to look at a problem (or an organization) from a conceptualizing perspective means that one must think beyond day-to-day realities. Servant-leaders must seek a delicate balance between conceptualization and day-to-day focus. 

I must admit, the word conceptualization is the type of word that should be reserved for automakers and scientists. That's not the type of word we toss around in a small group setting or among friends and family. Right? I really love the concept of "dream great dreams".  I'm going to take a somewhat different approach to this post because as important as it is to master the art of conceptualization as a servant-leader, I want to apply a word that is far easier to use and to relate to, dreams

The summary above talks about how as servant-leaders, we seek to nurture our abilities to "dream great dreams".  To be able to dream great dreams we must have the following: 1)Focus and 2)Faith. In this day and age of instant gratification, the ability to apply focus and faith is almost a lost art of sorts.  When we think about our futures, it's very important to be able to focus on our dream(s) in such a manner that faith will be readily available to not only assist us in the journey of accomplishing our dreams, but thrive in them too. 

When I think about someone who knew how to "dream great dreams", I think about Joseph. The story of Joseph in the Bible is one that most of us can relate to when it comes to the struggle of achieving the dream(s) of our lifetimes.  All of us have dreams that we would love to see materialized in our lives in some way, shape, or form. Right now those dreams are in the the conceptualization stage. Those dreams come in the form of all those question marks that are circling around our heads.

Those question marks are symbolic of so many things that represent our lives. They can potentially represent the numerous obstacles that may get in the way of us achieving our dreams. Joseph was faced with the same question marks in his own life when he was rejected by his brothers and sold into slavery eventually being taken to a foreign land where only God knows what would  happen to him. Once he arrived in Egypt, he continued to be confronted with even more question marks as he experienced more trials of all sorts. I wouldn't have any doubts if he even questioned the validity of his dream. 

To make a long story short, God validated his dream eventually ushering Joseph to the right hand of Pharaoh. My friends, I'm not in any way, shape, or form implying that the fulfillment of the dream came easily to Joseph. I would imagine the supernatural amount of focus and faith that was required for Joseph to stay on course especially during the most difficult moments of his life. I really admire the story of Joseph because we can all relate to the struggles of achieving our dreams.

I had just finished reading a book recently from John C. Maxwell titled Put Your Dream To The Test. This book is a very thought-provoking book because it helps us to not only see our dream, but seize it too. To encourage all of us to pursue our dream(s), I want to share with all of you 10 very thought-provoking questions that will not only encourage, but also challenge you in regards to being able to take your dream(s) from conceptualization to reality. Here are the following 10 questions:

1) The Ownership Question - Is My Dream Really My Dream?

2) The Clarity Question - Do I Clearly See My Dream?

3) The Reality Question - Am I Depending On Factors within My Control to Achieve My Dream?

4) The Passion Question - Does My Dream Compel Me to Follow It?  

5) The Pathway Question - Do I Have a Strategy to Reach My Dream?

6) The People Question - Have I Included the People I Need to Realize My Dream?

7) The Cost Question - Am I Willing to Pay the Price for My Dream?

8) The Tenacity Question - Am I Moving Closer to My Dream?

9) The Fulfillment Question - Does Working toward My Dream Bring Satisfaction? 

10) The Significance Question - Does My Dream Benefit Others?

There you have it servant-leaders! In the same way God has given Joseph a dream, He has also given all of us a dream to not only carry out His perfect will in our lives, but that He's also glorified in the fulfillment of our dream(s). With that said, I want to ask myself and all of you a simple, yet challenging question.

Are you ready to put your dream(s) to the test? 

Thanks again my friends for reading this far and I am very excited about what God is going to do in, through, and around your life as He makes a way out of no way and helps you to achieve the most awesome dream possible. May God continue to bless you and keep you my friends! Jesus loves you and so do I!!!...:-)