Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Grace!

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Cor. 12:9)

Amazing grace, how sweet does that word sound to you? To me, I know that it's sweet enough to know that God has given me another day to live and beyond able to go about His business and be able to take care of the needs of my family at home. Without God's grace, what would our lives look like?

Grace, according to Merriam-Webster says the following:

a:unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification


b: a virtue coming from God
c: a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace 

Those three definitions pretty much sum it up given the particular notion that God has His signature all over them. All this talk about regeneration and sanctification has me thinking about the purpose and goal of grace. God's grace as I see it just so happens to be the one area in God's character that not only establishes, but through His approval and favor, both of which are unmerited, to provide us an avenue to experience God in so many different ways, both mysterious and beautiful. 

Amazing Grace, written by John Newton (1725-1807), has to be one of the most famous songs sung among Christians. I don't know much about John Newton, but there's one thing I'm confident of. I'm extremely confident that he has found God's grace in such a miraculous way that it had to be put into words. Words that still resonate with us today. Words that we can totally relate to. 

Yes friends, with God on our side, it's more than possible to experience God's mercy in our lives in such a manner that we will be transformed....radically transformed, much like John Newton and so many others before us. With that said, I want to leave with you John Newton's Amazing Grace.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.


Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.


Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Let me leave one last verse for all of you!

For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph. 2:8-9) 

The lyrics of that song say it all my friends! I could go through a very long and elaborate explanation of the whole regeneration and transfiguration portion of grace, but that may have to wait for a later post. In the meantime, it's important to note that God loves us so much that He desires to pour out His grace to us during our whole lifetimes, not just during that most difficult times of our lives. 

Thanks again for reading this far my friends! May God continue to bless you and keep you in Jesus' mighty name! Jesus loves you and so do I!!!!...:-)